Sunday, February 21, 2010

So what...I am a Daddy's girl

I am a bad daughter.
Sometimes I feel like a bad daughter...a REALLY BAD DAUGHTHER.

I love mom and I have to say that cute little Shriner man is growing on me...but I am still a bad daughter.

Most daughters would be happy that their mom had found a nice man to take care of her...and to some extent I am...but at the same time I feel invaded...irritated and just generally crabby.

It could be that after a few months of this dating craziness I am starting to really miss my dad...he was funny...I mean really funny....and he could make anyone love him the minute they met him...a Scottish Expat to the core..he had a wicked sense of humor, was notoriously cheap, loved really good single malt scotch and made each of my friends feel that family.

Don't get me wrong...he was not perfect.....he could carry grudge like only the best Scot could...and don't you dare cross him because that would simmer within him forever....and as a father he could be tough. It is safe to say that in the era of amazing punk rock and new wave hair that neither my sister or I would have ever died our hair purple (he threatened to have it off as we slept) and all prospective boyfriends did endure the third degree. But for some reason, he was always forgiven when he would drive by the post-Friday football game party and make both my sister Carin and me come up to the car to check in. For all his wacky dad-ness...he was very popular with everyone adults and teenagers alike.

When my dad became sick, I moved back home to help Gina take care of him. This was a bit of a rough transition for all three of us...but in retrospect, well worth it...I was really able to enjoy my dad...really enjoy him. I was able to learn more about him from his friends that came to visit and we would reminisce about all the crazy dad things he did while I was growing up. We would spend countless afternoons just watching that Law and Order episode and we would talk about the best way to deal with Gina when he was gone...to this day...one episode of Matlock makes me think of Andy...the day he died was truly the worst day of my life (so far).

I am finding myself to be a Daddy's girl after all. I am stubborn...and do not forgive easily either. Single Malt is good, especially for a cold, and I am told that I am a funny girl....so...

Fast forward three years to Gina and cute little Shriner man..does he need to be like my dad for me to be happy for them...no I don't think so...he is funny..but is more a fan of Star Trek then Law and Order...he is a fan of double malt scotch (we can make exceptions) and he is extremely generous....he is a good catch for a good woman....so why am I a bad daughter...

Because.....they have decided to get MARRIED and that freaks me out!

Safe to say I am a bit conflicted at this point....if you had asked me a few months ago if Gina would have agreed.. I would have had to say absolutely not...so what changed? I really don't know...was it the aliens, the pod people...anyone's guess....but I wonder.....

What would Matlock say.......

No comments:

Post a Comment